Monday, January 06, 2014

Back to it...and a final sigh of relief.

So I had an ortho appt today and decided to have my last work at home day today.  I did the appt, came home and saw that Spence was still fast asleep - he had gone to sleep early and I figured his jetlag wasn't over, but I got him up and we started with a light school order today.

Spelling, reading, craft work for Bailey's gift, chores, drums, etc.

In the meantime the ring drama was finally over (I hope) as grama and grampa went to retrieve Spencer's ring from TSA.

Spencer had taken his ring off at the TSA checkpoint in Maui on Friday when they were leaving for Calgary - they were the last two going through and were rushed by the agent.  The agent retrieved the basket with Spencer's ring in it before Spence had a chance to grab it back and then headed off to catch his flight with James.  The fellow who took the basket - did not return the ring to lost & found immediately.  When grama called, it had not been returned and when I called later on - same thing.  I read up on the TSA website that they had a claims process and if they found the item was stolen by an agent, the agent would get fired immediately....so I set about working on the claim - the first step is to ID the agent, which is done through their security footage.

The lady I spoke to (Jamie) was not happy to help, but agreed as I was trying to process a claim for a ring that was 'lost' but really more likely stolen - if it had not been returned by now (which was over 24 hours and the fellow had been back on shift I found out).  I called back again after 24 hours and spoke to another woman and explained that I needed the info or the ring so I can either get compensation or have them return our property.  In the meantime, I found out Visa covers theft, loss or damage of a purchase for 90 days (good to know) and my home insurance would also have covered it (also good to know).

I get a call back from Deb about 2 hours later saying that when they interviewed the agent in question and showed him the video feed he 'found' the ring and brought it in....so I guess since he brought it back, he won't be getting fired - but heads up on making sure you get all your items back.  TSA apparently has a pretty big problem with agents stealing from passengers.

Deb asked me to describe the ring and after I said Tiffany & Co - she said - yep, it's yours.  She said it wasn't often people thought to get the TSA to look for this type of thing - so they end up having a lot of items in their logs.

She set it aside in the manager's office for grama & grampa to come pick up for us - grama & grampa made the trip out get it for us today and texted when they had the ring in their hands.  Grampa will bring it with him to Calgary in early February.

Incredibly happy to have the ring back - as Spence got it only the day before.

No comments: